Editorial assistant (12 month contract initially)
Pension Up to 7% employer pension contribution
Holidays 30 days per year plus bank holidays
Duration 12 month contract initially, with scope for a permanent position
Hours 10am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (see flexible working statement)
Location Central London office and home working
The Fabian Society is seeking to recruit an editorial assistant to help create our high-impact publications and digital content, including our flagship quarterly magazine. We are looking for someone with a keen interest in politics and political writing. You will need excellent writing skills, a flair for digital communications and the confidence to commission and edit articles from politicians, academics and policy experts.
This role forms part of the Fabian Society’s development programme, which is designed to help people who are new to politics to gain skills and experience. As part of our development programme, we’ll train and support you to deliver smaller projects of your own, and make sure that at the end of your contract you are ready to take a step up in your career. Development programme posts are initially offered for 12 months, with scope to become permanent.
The Fabian Society is strongly committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We value the varying perspectives that people with different identities and backgrounds can contribute. We particularly encourage applications from people who have backgrounds, lived experiences and identities that are under-represented in politics – women, disabled people, people from minority ethnic or working-class backgrounds, LGBTQ+ people, and people not based in London.
- Support the editorial director in delivering a successful Fabian editorial programme which contributes to the organisation’s strategy and objectives.
- Act as editorial assistant for the Fabian Review, supporting the editor in planning, editing and producing the magazine; and commission and edit articles for the Fabian Review in print and online.
- Commission and edit content for policy reports, essay collections and pamphlets, and assist in their production and publication; and assist with the timely production of Fabian research reports, working with colleagues in the research team and external authors
- Liaise with external designers, printers and advertisers in the production of publications and other materials
Work with colleagues to maintain and develop the Fabian Society website, by regularly writing, creating and reviewing posts and webpages.
- Work with colleagues to deliver the society’s social media engagement across all areas of our output, helping to write, commission and produce content for Fabian social media accounts.
- Where appropriate create digital content using software such as Adobe, InDesign, Photoshop
Provide a reception service when required, including greeting personal and telephone callers, dealing with postal and email inquiries, and covering enquiries for other staff members.
- Assist the editorial director in liaising with the Fabian Society’s programme and impact committee, including co-ordinating meetings, producing agendas and minuting meetings.
- Contribute to the intellectual and organisational development of the society and to contribute directly to Fabian outputs where appropriate.
- Represent the Fabian Society and the editorial team publicly, where appropriate.
- Undertake other duties where required by the general secretary and the editorial director
How to apply
A job pack with a full description of the role and a person specification can be found below. To apply for the role, please send a completed application form to email@example.com by Monday, 15th August at 12PM.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to hear about our future job vacancies as soon as they arise.